Thursday, September 30, 2010

"A few days away..."

How do you prepare for the biggest trip of a lifetime? This whole experience thus far has felt surreal. It’s hard to believe it’s actually happening. For the past several months, I have been soaking up everything I can about WWII, mostly the European theater and the 101st Airborne.

I’ve plunged into readings and personal accounts of the conditions and battles that took place there. All of that and yet I still feel so blind to the realness in what these men have been through. As I’ve watched documentaries and have read their stories, I somehow feel like I know them. Or at least feel as if I’ve been watching pieces of their past. We haven’t met, and yet they are familiar. They’re already my heroes.

All that’s left to do now is go. Oh, but going feels so huge. I’m being handed an opportunity that is a blessing beyond my understanding. When my mind drifts away to the first day of our trip, this Saturday (which is quite soon!) my heart jumps. We’ve been prepped with how life changing this trip will be. At least for me, I know that I won’t be able to put the “life changing” part into meaning until I’m there.

In this moment my thoughts circulate on my physical preparation, which consists mostly of; “Allison don’t forget anything…don’t forget that extra camera card…don’t let your passport out of your sight…oh and remember to bring the comfortable shoes…and don’t you dare sleep in on Saturday and make everyone late to the airport.” When I can finally quiet all of that, my mind goes to one thing. I can’t wait to meet them.

Only a few days away…and I’ll be in the presence of America’s heroes…my heroes.

Submitted by Allison Press

No comments:

Post a Comment